In the early 1870’s, W. L. Bishop built a store where he thought Asheville and Spartanburg Railroad would pass by. When the route was diverted through William M. Gowan’s property, Mr. Bishop cut the store into four parts, dragged it near the corner of Mill and Main, and waited for the customers to come. Founded on the prosperity that the railroad would bring, Inman grew to be a community described by R. Gilmer Ladson as being “the dandiest little town in the Piedmont” where residents thought of each other as “one large family.” Customers received quality products and excellent service from merchants whose names were synonymous with their businesses, while an energetic Chamber of Commerce worked in tandem with The Inman Times to keep those customers coming back.
Until the 1950’s, when the rise of the car culture led people to shop outside the city limits, Inman had been a self-sufficient town where residents could patronize stores on foot without having to look elsewhere. The decline of the peach and textile industries led to an eventual downturn in the economy and the loss of many “Uptown” Inman merchants. Large chain stores and malls replaced mom and pop businesses; when online shopping followed, and those malls suffered in turn, Inman’s historic shopping district was still standing, sustained by the spirit of that one large “family.” With that spirit intact and a new hometown publication pledged to promoting the city’s progress, Inman is once again poised to regain the title of “The Town of Prosperity.”
The first Inman merchant district consisted of the depot, built free of charge by Mr. Gowan in order to secure the station, his store (directly across from the depot) and Mr. Bishop’s store. Mr. Bishop then erected a sawmill, gristmill, cotton gin, and blacksmith shop on Mill Street; he believed the farming community could easily support his one-stop-shopping center. He opened a post office at the back of his store and lived above it with his wife and five sons. Author James Walton Lawrence, Sr. wrote that there was already another town nearby called Gowansville, so the “village” was named after John H. Inman, director of the Richmond and Danville Railroad. Inman continued to grow and was incorporated on December 22, 1882.
As Inman moved into the 20th Century, more merchants came. In the December 30, 1920 edition of The Inman Times, Mr. Ladson recalled that in 1890, Inman had three stores operated by Jim A. Brock, Jim E. Dill, and Wingo and Chapman. By 1895, Mr. Bishop’s store had been torn down and the Inman Hotel had been built. The Hotel was a key draw for the merchants, as was the construction of Inman Mills, which began in 1901. When it was completed in 1902, the business district’s customer base expanded even more. The mill had its own store run by D. B. Canaday, but residents of the mill village patronized Uptown stores, such as H.J. Ballenger’s for furniture and funeral supplies. In 1903, “The Doctor’s Building” was the first brick building on Main Street. It had two doctor’s offices on either end with the Inman Drug Store in between. When the Bank of Inman was constructed in 1906, the town became more self-sufficient.
Along with new customers, the mill provided the momentum for Inman to receive electricity. Previously, the railroad had provided a lighting system around the depot; a lamplighter lit oil fired lights at nightfall as a convenience for passengers arriving on the night trains. Inman Mills had installed large steam powered generators that lit up the mill homes and their streets. Mr. Chapman provided further lighting all the way up Mill Street so his employees could see on their way to and from work. By 1920, electricity had arrived within the town limits. Electric power fueled a big building boom in the town. Coupled with the unprecedented economic growth of the 1920’s, Inman became known as “The Town of Prosperity.”
One of the factors leading to this prosperity was the “boosterism” provided to the town and its merchants by the joint effort of the Inman Chamber of Commerce and The Inman Times. Both were founded in 1920 and worked closely together in the tradition of Henry Grady’s selling of the “New South.” As editor of the Atlanta Constitution, Grady promoted the industrialization of the South after the Civil War as a way to develop a new economy. This “Progressive Boosterism,” whereby local Chambers and newspapers presented their towns in a positive light and promoted their advantages in order to attract investors, became the business model for many cities.
A 1922 Spartanburg Herald article cited Inman’s Chamber of Commerce as being “one of the striking evidences that Inman is determined to grow.” The Chamber had organized a group of volunteers to build topsoil roads leading to Holly Springs, New Prospect, and Chesnee; it was also instrumental in building the Appalachian Highway. The newspaper credited the Chamber with the founding of the Inman Times, calling it “a very interesting and wide-awake reflex of the spirit and enterprise of this town of progress.” Charles B. Smith with editor Ethel Ward filled the pages with local news, events, and advertising by both local and Spartanburg merchants.
Inman merchant C.T. Price attributed his success to the advertising that ran in the hometown paper. His business had been at the corner of Howard and Prospect since 1916. Mr. Price was called “one the most accommodating merchants to deal with” because he gave customers a “square deal.” Selling everything from farm plows to fine furniture, Mr. Price employed local salesmen Frank White, J. E. Barnett and Lee Fite, who knew their customers by name. His ads asked customers to “look around before you buy” so they could then see that his prices would save them money. In 1923, he said: “More business has come to me through advertising than from any other thing.” Customers from as far away as Chesnee, Spartanburg, Tryon and Harris N.C. shopped in his store after seeing the ads in The Inman Times.
The advertisements in the newspaper were testaments of why these merchants were so successful. Business owners published their names and stood behind them, guaranteeing customer satisfaction. They offered high quality products, such as the special blend of coffee that was ground in Ackerman & Clement’s electric coffee mill. Their coffee was described as being the “best”: “Just ask the man who uses it. Ask his wife who makes it. Ask Dr. E. A. Capers, or Mrs. Lockwood or anyone who has used this coffee.” Name-dropping illustrated that Ackerman & Clement knew their customers personally and catered to their needs and tastes. Canaday’s Drug Store, located on the corner of Mill and Main, informed the public that it was “a pleasure” to serve them; customer loyalty allowed them to remain on Main Street for almost fifty years.
Business relationships built on trust were possible due to this integrity. Farmers were given credit from storeowners during the growing season until crops were harvested and sold. Profits had to be reinvested in new supplies; shopping for Christmas presents was not a top priority. In order to entice farmers to spend money in Inman and pay their tabs by Christmas Eve, Inman merchants, together with the Chamber, held a six-week “Trade Event” in 1923 and 1924 with a drawing to give away a Ford Touring car as the Grand Prize. Beginning in early November, one ticket for the drawing was given for each $1.00 cash purchase or payment on account. In 1923, eight additional prizes totaling $350.00 were awarded in gold; in 1924, the prizes were given in cash. Inman merchants also offered tie-ins; the Inman Drug Company, “The Rexhall Store,” offered a $2.50 Kodak with film and a coupon for the drawing, all for $1.00.
After the stock market crashed in 1929, storeowners did not have cars and cash to give away, but they were grateful for the continuing patronage of their customers and wanted to show it. In 1936, a new Christmas tradition was started in Inman. The Spartanburg Herald announced on December 9, 1936 that Inman was to have a Christmas tree and a parade on Friday at 5 p.m. Sponsored by the Will Rogers Council and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, the parents and children “of the entire Inman area” were invited with “council officers and members, business men and civic leaders of Inman” participating in the parade. The article closed with the Council thanking Inman merchants and residents for their cooperation. The event brought business to town and people together.
Santa Claus became the star of the parade in 1938 when a main switch was thrown to turn on electric lights attached to the merchant’s storefronts. Local historian Pete Miller recalled that Ed Anderson, a public figure in Inman, played Santa for many years. After a Merchants Bureau was founded in 1939, over 6,000 people came to see the mile long parade with 35 units. According to local merchant Roger Newman, at one time, there was no entry fee. The Chamber of Commerce would raise money to help pay for the bands. Participants could rent a float from a company to be used in the Inman parade; the float would then be reused in other local parades. The merchants wanted the celebration to be held on a Wednesday, the day that stores were closed. They knew children would window shop after the parade and marvel at the large animated Santa in the Stewart-Gwinn furniture store window. The event gave children the chance to tell St. Nick what they wanted for Christmas and signaled the start of the holiday shopping season.
Citizen participation in the parade completed the circle of “boosterism.” People from all walks of life waved to the crowd alongside convertibles carrying dignitaries and celebrities. Mr. Miller said that anyone in Inman with a convertible was called upon to provide transportation for the parade. “Little Pete” Miller once drove a battery-operated car in the parade as a child; he later drove a tractor that pulled a train carrying his son Jason. Long time resident John Anderson once rode atop the Zion Hill Baptist Church float. Roscoe Whiteside, who cut grass for a living, decorated his push mower and smiled as Inman residents cheered him on year after year.
High school bands were a perennial hometown institution. Marching bands from all over the Upstate would participate in each other’s celebrations. Mr. Miller once marched with the Chapman High School Band in eleven different Christmas parades one year. He said: “The teachers had a fit” about the students missing class. He kept his trombone mouthpiece in his pocket before the parade started so it wouldn’t freeze to his lips. “The trombones marched in front” he said, “so they wouldn’t punch somebody in the back of the head.”
The 1950s and 60s were the boom years for the parade and the Uptown merchant district; this coincided with the boom of the peach and mill industries. People had money and would flock to Inman on Saturdays to shop, filling the sidewalks. While some merchants in Spartanburg refused entrance to African Americans during this time, John Anderson recalls being able to shop in any of the stores in Inman with his mother. He loved buying candy and popsicles at George’s Market and the Community Cash. He remembers the Christmas when his brother got a “Western Flyer” from the Western Auto; his brother, of course, had to share the bike with him.
In the 1970s and 1980s, Inman’s economy began to take a downturn. Farmers had some tough years and Inman Mill’s workers were “idled.” When the Bi-Lo plaza opened in 1971, and the Community Cash relocated to the newly widened Asheville Highway, people walked less and drove more; the Uptown district lost loyal customers. Local merchant Dewell Gwinn began to refurbish empty stores, resulting in a rise in new businesses; in 1987, Roger Newman remarked, “we have only a few empty buildings downtown, which is good for a small town like Inman.”
The Christmas parade, like the mill workers, had also been “idled” for several years. In 1987, the Downtown Merchants Association brought the parade back. Other Christmas events were started, such as the Holiday Home Tour to benefit the Inman Branch Library and the Inman Stroll. The City of Inman took over the Christmas parade in 2002.
Mr. Newman said Inman merchants decided “nine or ten years ago” to have “Light Up Inman” the evening before the parade. Always on the first Friday in December from six o’clock to eight, the event included fun events for the children, like the snowball drop and giveaways of prizes. Last year, the City purchased a forty-foot Christmas tree, billed as “The Tallest Tree in the Upstate,” which attracted shoppers to the historic district. This year, colored lights will once again adorn the front of merchant’s stores. The Christmas Parade will follow Light Up Inman on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Attempts to lure customers into Uptown Inman are just part of the reason why some stores have remained on Main and Mill Streets for many years. The secret of their success lies in the same principles employed by Inman stores of yore. The Frame House and Gallery on Mill Street has been in business over thirty years due to the expertise of Roger Newman and the friendly service given by his wife Janis. Mr. Newman once restored several large, fragile photomurals from the early 20th Century for a Spartanburg customer. Owner and stylist Shannon Daugherty of Studio 18 on Mill has been in business for thirteen years because her customers are like family. The original Inman Drug building now houses the Kempson-Rexhall Drugstore. Its glowing, neon sign has been a treasured landmark on Main Street for over fifty years. Customers can count on them to provide old and new products they have come to trust such as Red Oil, originally used by mill workers in the 1930s. From their neon sign to the vintage soda fountain, the drugstore offers a nostalgic shopping experience.
When the historic Inman Times stopped publishing in 2012, the community lost a valuable “booster.” The City Council asked local Inman native Scott Smith, graphic artist and publisher for SS MEDIA, LLC, for a presentation idea that could fill the void left by the absence of Inman’s weekly newspaper. Mr. Smith pitched and the Council voted to accept the idea of a hometown magazine, and Destination Inman was born. The publication preserves the history of Inman through articles, photos, and memoirs written by residents and informs the public about upcoming events. It also reports on District One Schools, and gives advertisers a chance to reach customer within and outside of the city limits. With a publication run of 6,000 copies, an online website, and a Facebook page, Destination Inman invites everyone to discover why so many people choose to call Inman home.
Mayor Cornelius Huff, together with the City Council, City Administrator Doug Burns, the Chamber of Commerce, local merchants, and Destination Inman, comprise a “family” committed to “boosting” Inman’s prosperity as it moves forward in the New Millennium. With the values of these stores of yore still intact, the City can look upon them as a guidepost as it attracts new businesses into the Uptown and onto the Asheville Highway. Together, all citizens of the Greater Inman Area can come out and support Inman businesses and fill the sidewalks with Inman’s most valuable commodity: its people.
BONUS: LIST OF THE STORES OF YORE
FROM THE 1905 TOWN OF INMAN DIRECTORY, LISTED BY TRADE
From the Spartanburg Directory by Charles Emerson & Co.
Humphrey & Humphrey
Bryant & Hall
Metcalf & Sutton
Brock, J.A. (Campton & Inman)
Inman Mills Store
Ladson & Rogers
Hay, Grain, & Feed
Flour & Grist
Bell and Hall
Saw and Planing Mill
Rowland, M.O. (Wall, W.J. - the barber,- was listed as a physician as well)
INMAN MERCHANTS PARTICIPATING IN THE 1923 & 1924 TRADE EVENTS
TOURING CAR GRAND PRIZE
Canaday’s Drug Store – opened November 1922, Fred’s Flower Shop sold there
Inman Drug Company advertised as early as 1921 “The Rexhall Store”
B.H. Maxwell’s. 1923 only
Everybody’s Filling Station
Hammet & Lynch 1923 only
Lae’s Filling Station
Mill Street filling Station, M.P. Brown
City Café, Jay Anderson, Mgr. Mill Street, “the sensible place to eat”
J. C. Crowe
People’s 1923 only – 5, 10, 25 cent goods – Corner Mill & Amos, TOYLAND at Christmas
H. E. Chapman, Agent
Metcalf & West, 1923
E. Lawerence & Co.
Epton & Hall
Johnson & West
Bridges & Briant’s Market, 1923 only
D. J. Knox’s Market, 1923 only
Mill Market, Alex Bridges, Owner
J.E. White’s Market “The Sanitary Market” Mill Street
Inman Millinery Shop advertised as early as 1921, Mrs. L. L. Ward, owner
Plumbing, Steam & Water Heating:
W.J. & J. V Merrell
Garage & Auto Dealers:
Epton & Metcalf – new garage November, 1923, sold oil and gas, next door to Bishop’s Garage, became Inman Chevrolet in December of 1924, changed ownership 1924 Claude C. Epton
Miller & Williams, Used Cars 1923 only
Wofford Motor Company – became Inman Ford Agency in 1924-Gillepsie Smith, owner
Mill Street Shoe Shop
Shoe Shop & Jeweler:
T. D. Davenport, “Inman Electric Shoe Shop”
Furniture & Hardware:
C.T. Price - undertaker
Inman Builder’s Supplies Co., Inc. advertised as early as 1921
U-Drive-It & Hauling:
J. E. Buice
Dry Goods & Notions:
Blackwell & Liner
Inman Cash Store, P. Gelman, Owner
G. A. Dominick
Epton & Marlow, 1923 only
Ackerman & Clement shoes, gourmet coffee
C.A. Allen, 1923 only
W. A. Baughcome
T. R. Brannon
J. E. Cothran advertised as early as 1921
Edwards & McDowell
Epton & Hall
Inman Mills Store
Jno. T. Wilkins
OTHER INMAN MERCHANTS WHO ADVERTISED IN THE INMAN TIMES FROM1921 to 192
Citizen’s Bank, advertised beginning in 1921
Bank of Inman, founded 1906, advertised as early as 1921
The Amuzu Theatre, advertised as early as December 1920, first issue
The Inman Times, from December 1920
Waters –Littlefield & Co. (Gave away a kitchen cabinet to the person with the key Dec 23, 1921) could call then at phone 76
Metcalf & Brown, Insurance, advertised as early as 1921
John McClain’s Café, advertised as early as 1921
W. T. Powell, Insurance Agents, advertised as early as 1921
McElrath Cash Grocery, advertised as early as 1921
The Dixie Theatre, advertised as early as 1921
S.M. Snow, General Insurance advertised as early as1922
C.L. Wingo, nuts, candy, fruit, advertised as early as 1922 – close out sale, auction across from depot 1923
Gilliam & Sheehan, Contractors, advertised as early as 1923
J.T. Wilkins, general merchandise, moved to new store, advertised as early as 1923
Edwards & McDowell, shoes, Mill Street, advertised as early as 1923
R.H. Bishop’s Garage, advertised as early as1923
T.L. Kelley, Licensed Public Car, advertised as early as 1923
Johnson & Epton, The Purina System, advertised as early as 1923
Ballenger’s Electric, Mill Street, advertised as early as 1923
Inman Cash Store, clothing, advertised as early as 1924
Blackwell & Liner, “Osteo-path-ic” shoes, advertised as early as 1924
City Market, advertised as early as 1924, Q. L. Hayes, proprietor, call phone 54
INMAN MERCHANTS ADVERTISING in the January 28, 1940 Peach Edition of the Spartanburg Herald
“Inman: The Peach Center of the Piedmont and one of South Carolina’s Most Progressive and Industrious Communities Keeps Pace With Progress…Civic minded men and women make Inman an ideal place to live. The spirit of friendliness and cooperation that actuates the citizenry of Inman and the evident love for the community, not only makes Inman an ideal place to live, but ensures the growth and prosperity of the town. Modern stores and aggressive merchants make Inman a trading center. Aggressive merchants operating modern stores enable the citizens of Inman to satisfactorily supply their wants at home, at economical prices. The variety and desirability of merchants attracts shoppers from a wide area.”
State Theatre: Always A Good Show
Millers Auto Exchange: Used Cars.
H.A. Ackerman: General Merchandise
Inman Notion Store
Seawright Funeral Home
Wilkins & McMillin Lumber Co. Building material, coal & wood
Prince & Shehan: Esso Station
Miller Brothers Motor Company: Ford Dealers
Gowan’s Shoe Shop: The best shoe repairing, gun repairing, Auto keys made.
J. E. Cothran: General Merchandise
Peachland Chevrolet Co.: Authorized Chevrolet Dealers, Sales & Service.
Central Service Station: Corner of Mill & Bishop Streets, A. W. Tindall.
INMAN BUSINESSES WHO SUPPORTED THE INMAN PURPLES IN 1949
Bush Food Market and Freezer Plant: Inman’s Complete Food Center -Asheville Highway Community Cash Super Market
Culbreth’s Cleaners: Conscientious Care For Your Clothes
Powell Furniture: Quality Furniture, Stoves, Refrigerators, and Electric Ranges
Golightly Electric Service: Electrical Contracting and Repairs – H.C. Golightly, J.R. Golightly
Collins Grocery And Ice Co
Cassel’s 5 & 10 Cent Store, Inc: The Piedmont’s Progressive Chain
Correl’s Auto Parts
Zero Cab Company: You can start us rollin’ for you by phoning Zero or 49
Western Auto Associate Store: W.N. Gaylor, owner
Holden’s Radio Shop: Expert Radio Repairs, Television, and Authorized Motorola Dealer
Gowan’s Shoe Shop: Shoe satisfaction, car keys made, sewing machine repair
Beason’s Department Store: The old reliable complete outfitters for the family 17 Mill St.
Miller Pontiac: The most beautiful thing on Wheels
INMAN MERCHANTS ADVERTISING IN 1957
Wilkins & McMilin Lumber Co.: Building materials, mill work, Sherwin-Williams Paints. Without our splendid customers we just couldn’t have made it.
Inman Laundry and Inman Cleaners: Pick up and delivery service.
Correl’s Auto Parts: Replacement parts and Supplies, Road Service
R.L. Gaines: Gulf Products, complete line of groceries, Meats and Produce, opened Nov 1956
Inman Oil Company: Fuel oils, tractor oils, on the farm delivery service. Lyman Road.
The Citizens & Southern National Bank: Corner of Main and Mill Streets
Community Cash Stores: One stop shopping pays, easy to park, easy to shop
INMAN MERCHANTS ADVERTISING IN 1960s
Inman Telephone Company: Established in 1918 with less than 100 Magneta Telephones. Now over 1100 Modern Dial Telephones, Complete New Dial System installed in 1954, now 48 trunk lines direct to Spartanburg. Free service to Spartanburg. Mr. R.H. Hicks is manager, Miss Lorraine White is cashier and bookkeeper.
Economy Chevrolet: Through Service We Grow
The Town of Inman: “ Fresh Peach Center of the World.”
Hammet’s Gulf Service: Owned by Bennie “Hambone” Hammett in business over 20 years
Inman Drugs: at No. 3 Blackstock Road with a 20-stool lunch counter
Inman Hardware: Operated by Mr. M. G. Slaten. Dial GR 2-4173.
Stewart-Gwinn Furniture Co.: 39 Main Street at Wingo. We carry Thomasville, Bassett.
Maxwell Garage: General Repairs, welding. Owned by James Maxwell. Asheville Highway.
Inman Laundry: Opened in 1937 in a metal building with 20 people. Rebuilt in 1945. Employs 55 people with 5 trucks. John L. and Ludie Brady operate Inman Laundry. William H. Brady operates Inman Cleaners.
Inman Federal Savings & Loan Association: 4 ½% per annum effective January 1, 1966.
Edwards Insurance Agency: Serving the surrounding area for over twenty years.
Gowan’s Men and Student Shop: 9 Main Street. Mr. & Mrs. Robert Gowan.
The Remnant Shop: Complete line of fabrics and sewing needs. Main Street, Inman.
Dan’s Foodland: Your complete food store. Main Street, Inman.
Biltmore Dairy Farms: 1897 to 1968. At your store or at your door.
“1964 Survey Report” Made by Vendetta Nicholson showing the trade center of Inman
From The Early History of Inman, South Carolina by Jimmie Lou Bishop Brown
“ Three drug stores, with eight licensed druggists, 3 independently owned grocery stores, and one large chain store (the Community Cash) two Five and Ten Cents Stores, eight clothing and variety stores, two furniture stores, two hardware stores, 3 dry-cleaners, 2 laundries, four flower shops, 2 liquor stores, 14 beauty parlors, 4 barber shops, 5 insurance agencies, 2 loan companies, 2 banks, 2 dentists offices, a new post office on S. Main St. with 17 employees, Mrs. Mozelle Thompson as postmaster; 2 appliance stores, one shoe shop, 3 restaurants, 1 lumber company and 1 brick (Dunbrick) company, close by. Approximately 20 service stations were operated in Inman, with 5 of them in within the city limits. The Merchants Bureau, organized in 1938 showed a membership of 88 places of business in 1964.
The Community services in Inman are numerous. A branch of the Spartanburg Health Center, which came here in 1961, is located on South Howard Street. To help care for the older folks of this community, a nursing home was opened in 1962.”
INMAN MERCHANTS ADVERTISING IN THE 1970s
Western Auto: The Family Store. C. D. “Charlie” Hall owner.165 Main Street.
Janet’s: Inman’s complete cloth shop. A small shop with individual attention.
Kempson Rexhall Drugs: Your family drug store. Fred H. Kempson, R. PH. Owner.
Camphaven Skilled Care Nursing Home: Opening Soon! 88 bed edition.
Bell Federal Savings And Loan Association: 24 Main Street Inman. Pays interest on interest compounded daily.
Powell Furniture Company: Serving Inman with Fine Furniture and Appliance for 33 Years.
Bailes-Collins & Crain, Inc. Department Store: 14 South Main Street. 472-9547.
Union 76: James Chapman, owner and operator.. 26 Lyman Road.
Don & Barb’s Glad Rags: Turquoise Rings. 10 Mill Street.
Merle Norman Cosmetic Studio: Evelyn W. Cooper, owner. 8 Mill Street. Closed Wednesday.
Kawasaki of Inman: 164 Asheville Hwy. Closed Monday.
John’s Men & Teen Shop: 14 Mill Street.
Sav-Mor Dollar Store: Mill Street. Jergens soap. 5 for $1. 18 shopping days ‘til Christmas.
Moonlite Drive-In: Big Bad Mama. Open Fri, Sat 7:00 p.m. Open Sunday 8:15 p.m.
Community Cash: Merry Christmas. It’s a pleasure to serve you.
Fowler Floor Covering & Employees: Merry Christmas. Thanks for your friendship.
Evelyn Nix Beauty Shop: Happy Holidays.
Custom Pluming & Electric: Santa’s pack is brimming with our good wishes and thanks.
Cromer’s Abattoir: Greetings to one and all!
Jody’s Drive-In Restaurant: Thanks for patronizing our establishment.
Dan’s Foodland: Our sincere thanks for your patronage.
INMAN MERCHANTS ADVERTISING IN 1981
Meriel’s Gift Shop: Gifts for all occasions. Free Gift Wrap. 8 Mill Street.
Fran’s Fashions: Fashions for her-when quality counts.6 S. Main Street.
Gowan’s Men’s Shop: 9 Main Street.
The Missy Shoppe/The Shoe Box: For the fashionable you. 7 Main Street.
John’s Men’s Shop: Clothes of Distinction. Easy Parking. 19 Mill Street.
The Peach Krate: Handmade Crafts and Gifts! Join a class today. 8 Main Street.
Inman Seed & Supply: Lawn & Garden Seed. Vegetable & Flower Plants. Next to Post Office.
Virl’s: Infants, Children & Ladies Wear. Fashion wear and accessories. N. Main Street.
South Carolina Telephone Corp.: Keeping pace with progress. 8 Bishop Street.
Fox’s Barbershop & Hair Styling: Ben Fox owner and operator. Wayne Steadman, operator. 18 Mill Street.
Gilbert’s Chiropractic Clinic: 24 hour emergency service. 14 S. Main Street.
INMAN MERCHANTS ADVERTISING IN 1993
Inman Feed Mill: 5% discount to new customers. 11831 Asheville Hwy.
M & W Auto Sales: 10% off on all parts and labor. Hwy 176 Hi-Bridge.
Skinner’s Auto Parts: 10% off already discounted prices. Intersection Hwy.176 & Lyman Rd.
Family Hair Affair & Tanning Salon: $5 off perms. 10471 Asheville Hwy. Hi-Bridge.
Kutting Korner: $5 off perms for new customers. 11615 Asheville Hwy.
Little Caesars: One free topping. Next to Community Cash.
Janet’s Fabric Shop: 10% off all purchases. 11495 Asheville Hwy.
Scuba Center of Inman: 10% off all merchandise. 2 Prospect Street.
Videos on Tapp: Rent one 99 cent movie free. Wednesday only. 11210 Asheville Hwy.
CITY OF INMAN
IN TOWN BUSINESSES (Courtesy of Inman Chamber of Commerce)
ANTIQUE HUNTERS ANONYMOUS 3 N. MAIN STREET (Jenny Staderterman)
BRONCO MEXICAN RESTAURANT 40 S. MAIN STREET (PH Properties)
CUSTOM AUCTION SERVICES 25 N. MAIN STREET (Chad Horton)
FRAN’S FASHIONS 4 S. MAIN STREET (Bobby Gowan)
GIFTS FOR ALL SEASONS 9 N. MAIN STREET (Sandy Green)
INMAN ANTIQUE MALL 3 BLACKSTOCK ROAD (Todd Belcher)
KEMPSON REXALL DRUGS 27 N. MAIN STREET (Derrick Hester)
NEW TO YOU 37-39 MAIN STREET (Tammy McDonald)
SC MERCANTILE & GUN SHOP 2 BLACKSTOCK ROAD (Sam Caulder)
STUDIO 18 ON MILL 18 MILL STREET (Leslie LeMaster
THE FRAME HOUSE 28 MILL STREET (Kevin Newman)
Photos by Bonnie Werlinich